I remember meeting Julia and feeling like I had known her forever. She was warm and inviting, beautiful, tall, and so easy to talk to. She was a year older than us, was dating a basketball player, studying to be a nurse, and helped Erin and I survive our first few weeks of the transition to college. Although she went to a different college about 30 minutes away, it was always nice to see her and get a chance to chat.
Over the years of living with Erin, I saw Julia every now and then and Erin would give me updates on her and her husband and what they were up to. It was always so fun to hear what God was up to in their lives and although I knew very little about their struggle with infertility, I was so excited to hear about their plans to adopt a baby from Ethiopia, and then even more estatic when I found out they were expecting naturally.
I was pregnant with Parker at the time I found out Julia and Dan were expecting as well and I remember grinning from ear to ear thinking about what they were starting to experience. Staring at my round belly, knowing that they were only a few months behind me and would soon begin to feel the flutters and kicks of their little miracle.
I was on maternity leave when I got the call.
Erin called me and was hysterical. I could barely make out what she was saying. All I could hear on the other end was deep, heart wrenching sobs.
My stomach immediately dropped and I couldn't even begin to imagine what was going on. All I knew was that it was not good.
I just started to pray...asking God to prepare me for whatever I was about to hear.
Then she finally got the words out....
Julia.....They....Lost. The. Baby.
What? I couldn't even process what she had said. It was the very end of August...wasn't she only a few weeks away from giving birth? Could this even happen?
Erin had received the news from some of Julia's family members and had very little information, but the one thing she did know was that their worst nightmare was coming true.
After Erin and I got off the phone, I remember pulling over, taking Parker out of his carseat and just hugging him. Rocking him and thanking God over and over for the miracle that was in my hands. Why would God take their baby, but allow me to have mine? I had so many questions and thought swirling in my head, but I knew they were questions I couldn't answer and so I sat there on the side of the road and cried and prayed for Julia & Dan.
Ironically enough, I didn't know it at the time, but I would end up being able to relate to their story much more than I ever thought possible.
Never can I even begin to fathom the pain and devastation of losing a child.
But, I can relate to the death of a dream. The unexpected circumstances that arise. The worries, concerns, questions, doubts that came for me in the form of Parker's diagnosis with Joubert Syndrome.
This past September 1st marked 2 years since Emma Jo Walser ran into the arms of Jesus. And to continue on her legacy, Dan has written a book called To Make A Life.
This book is an honest, open, raw, and intimate look at their story.
I invite you to pick up a copy of this book and allow their story to change you. To allow Emma Jo's life to transform your way of thinking and find the beauty that is made out of the broken.
We love you Julia & Dan and are so proud of what you are doing. We are constantly praying for you and know that your story is close to our hearts!!

No comments:
Post a Comment