What is Joubert Syndrome?

.small world.

This weekend I came to a pretty harsh reality.....my world is really small. Like, really small.

Scott Harrison, founder and CEO of Charity: Water spoke at Eastlake this weekend. It was amazing. Our church has been partnering with Charity: Water for a while now and working towards building wells for clean water to those who do not have access to clean water. The weight of that reality really hit me hard this weekend.

I have never. ever. had to worry about clean drinking water. ever.

"Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war."

Let the weight of that statement sink in. just from lack of clean water.

A lot of times I get overwhelmed by the needs of the world and feel that I cannot make a difference. There are so many people in need and so many causes, that so many times I feel like I cannot do enough to make an impact. Selfish I know, but I just get completely overwhelmed and do not do anything as a result.

The difference this time is I actually feel like there are tangible ways that I can help bring someone clean water. That someone as insignificant as ME can make a huge difference in someone's life. Crazy how empowering that can be.

Looking at how much we have been blessed and how God has empowered us, I feel like the Dietzen family has been created for a much bigger purpose than we are currently living. God has a much bigger plan for our life than to just eat, work and sleep. We are not sure what that means, and what God is calling us to, but it has become pretty clear to us that we were meant to bring Jesus to others. Whether that means helping to meet the physical needs of others through clean water or working with those we touch daily to bring Jesus to them, we are on board!

It's crazy how you can hear the same things over and over, and then one day you really HEAR it for the first time. I love what Charity: Water is doing to build wells and empower the people to live life without the diseases that come about because of dirty water, or having to spend their entire day fetching dirty water from a swamp miles and miles away.

God has blessed us all so much and as Ryan Meeks our pastor says "God doesn't bless us to raise our standard of living, but to raise our standard of GIVING."

I don't know what God has in store for the Dietzen family...but I think there are BIG things in our future and I am so excited!!! My world is so small and I am so excited to start expanding it and living outside myself!

1 comment:

bkwilson said...

What a blessed realization you are experiencing! May God continue to stir and open our hearts to others!