What is Joubert Syndrome?

.motherhood.

After having a baby, one of the questions I get asked a lot is:

"How has motherhood changed you?"

I find it hard to answer that question. How hasn't motherhood changed me? It has been the single most transforming thing in my life, and I would say all of the changes have been for the better.

But I was thinking about it the other day, how really has it changed me? And where do I see the most transformation?

And I finally put my finger on it....

Confidence.

I feel like finally, I really know who I am, what I want, and who I want to become.

Parker has done that for me. He has given me perspective and given me confidence. Confidence in everything, from the most trivial things to the core foundation of who I am.

Sure, I have days where I struggle with who I am, what I look like, what I am doing.

But then I get a glimpse.

Perspective.

As difficult as Parker's condition has been on us, it really has made me content.

Sure my post-baby body doesn't look like it did before.
I am a little softer where there used to be muscles,
I'm not the runner I was before,
and I don't have the time to spend on myself.

But it's not about me anymore. It's about Parker and Nick and making sure my family is taken care of.

And I think that's healthy.

I am confident that God gave me Parker and that I am doing the best I can with what I have been given. I am supremely confident in that.
I don't look at things through the same lens anymore. I don't compare where I used to, and I don't allow myself to feel inferior anymore.

Because, really, it doesn't matter.

Having a child will do that to you, but I think that having a child with special needs with do that even more.

Having to sit in doctor appointment after doctor appointment where they tell you what is wrong with your child. Or sitting in physical therapy where your child struggles to even sit up, will put things in perspective real fast and make you appreciate even the simplest things.

Suddenly worrying about those few extra pounds or having the best clothes don't matter. Because making sure Parker walks is a whole lot more important.

And that's something I needed. I needed this healthy does of reality and I find it so comforting to wake up knowing that I am confident in being who I am, who God made me.

And that's pretty special. And for this perspective I am abundantly thankful. 
It's been painful, no doubt about that. But I also realize that not everyone get's this viewpoint. 

It's taken years to get to this point, but God has been shaping me forming me into who He wants me to be, and I am finally getting a glimpse of what that is!

There is still a long way to go, but I think this realization helps make me a better mom,
a better wife,
and a better follower of Jesus.

8 comments:

Kimber said...

You are amazing!! Thank you for continuing to share! I am so inspired after reading your blog! And what beautiful pics!! You are gorgeous!!

the brauns said...

Anna, I love reading your posts and following the journey God has you on. Thank you for sharing. :)

Katie Nolan said...

Anna you are a constant reminder to me of the grace of God! How blessed I feel to have a friend like you in my life who points me constantly to our Savior! I love you and continue to pray for you and your family! God sure has used you in my life. THANK YOU and PRAISE GOD!

HW said...

Beautiful. So true! Thank you for your honesty, especially as a mother! What a blessing to read this today!

Sue Lee said...

That is so encouraging and such an echo of my heart! So thankful for you, Anna. There is a comfort knowing that others are experiencing and learning the same things as us. God is so good.

msmeeks said...

Anna, you are a beautiful mama and Parker is ADORABLE!! Thank you for sharing, I will thank Kelly Radcliff for sharing it with me :)
Praying for you and your precious family.

Jenalee said...

Thank you for your honesty. I love reading your thoughts! I'm so glad you are learning so much from God and though motherhood.

Unknown said...

So true! Every point that you made is SO true when having a special needs child! Parker is awesome...what a gift he his!

Thanks for posting this!

Jenni (Fellow JS Mama)