It's Christmas Eve and I am eager with anticipation for what the next few days hold.
The holiday season this year has been so much fun. The boys, mostly Parker, are starting to grasp what the holidays are and really enjoying celebrating. We have been trying to do fun activities to create memories and start new traditions within our little family. I think I am actually more excited for the boys to open their gifts than they are. Nick has to keep reminding me that Christmas is still a few days away because I keep trying to let them open *just one* gift each day.
Christmas memories are so fond in my mind. I can remember Christmas so vividly and all of the things my parents did to make it such a neat experience for us. From St. Nick's day on December 6th, to the sugar cookie decorating, the advent activities, Christmas presents, etc. I am hoping to put in the time and effort to make these special memories with my children so they look back on holidays and Christmas with joy and love.
I've really tried to explain the TRUE meaning of Christmas to the boys and try and help them grasp what it means that Jesus came down to earth. What that signifies in their lives and how it is one of the most pivotal moments ever {the resurrection of Christ being the other}. I hope that through the presents, the songs, Santa, and the traditions, a love for Jesus and the hope and life he brings will be born.
Being a mom now, the Christmas story is even more poignant to me. I cannot imagine being Mary and Joseph and given the gift of a child, and that child being the Savior of the world. It blows my mind that God would send his only Son to walk among us and rescue us from ourselves, knowing that he was going to suffer and be crucified the way he was.
With the boys having special needs and some elevated health risks, I cannot let my self think too far in the future because it is filled with so many "what-if's". But God KNEW his son was going to be brutally killed for the sake of others, yet he did it anyway to save me and you.
It blows my mind.
That selfless kind of love.
And all for the sake of me. Of my husband. Of my boys. Of all of humanity.
Crazy love.
I'm praying that as we open our gifts tonight and tomorrow and are surrounded by friends and family, that we understand the meaning behind it and why there is cause for such an enormous celebration. I hope that these new memories for our family are rooted in truth and conviction and that I am doing my part to teach these lessons to my boys.
Merry Christmas!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment