Its only been a few days since I shared our gofundme page with others in order for us to get to Chicago for the Joubert Syndrome conference. I had planned on doing this post later as we wrapped up our fundraising, but I just had so much I wanted to say that I couldn't wait.
I have to say, it took a lot of guts for me to press 'share' when I decided to share it with everyone. I HATE asking for help, and I don't feel like others should have to pay for our trip, but I knew this was something I needed to do. In fact, I created the page in November and it has taken me that long to finally share it.
People are always asking how they can help us and most the time I say "oh we are fine" or I'm not always sure where to direct people in how they can help us. I have had several people encourage me to try something like a gofundme page and allow those around us to help, so I decided to take that leap of faith and do it.
It took growth on my part. I had to put my pride aside and surrender. Saying "yes, we do need help if we are going to make this dream come true" and allow people that opportunity to help us.
And it's crazy that I have continued to learn and grow in so many ways just from creating and sharing our page. I have learned about myself, about others, and about kindness and generosity than I ever imagined I would.
It would be insufficient to put into words just how much each and every donation, prayer, encouragement, etc. that has been sent our way this week. I have seriously been a big old hot mess over here crying every time I receive an email for a new donation, a call, a text, etc. Like for reals...a hot.mess.
I have literally shed tears over every single donation people have sent to us.
I guess I just never imagined that this would actually come true! Yes, we planned to fundraise and make the necessary sacrifices on our end to attend the conference, but we never imagined the depth of generosity that would come our way.
People who have followed our journey. People from high school, old co-workers, family, friends, etc. It's been crazy to see who has made such a sacrifice to bless our family.
I've learned this is so much more than the monetary gift. It's about people reaching out their hands and healing our hearts. Saying "we see you. we care. we want to help".
And it's so weird to be on the recieving end of it. To sit back and watch other people take care of us and literally make our dreams come true of being able to meet our Joubert Syndrome family and build that community.
Over the past 4 years that we have been on this road we have seen people work as Jesus hand and feet. Blessing us with meals, watching our kids, praying for us, sending letters, etc. None of that has ever gone unseen and its such a physical reminder in this life that God cares about us and is taking care of us.
As I've checked my emails this week and noticed the enormous impact this has had on my life, I can't help but see how God is working in my own heart.
He's healing my heart in ways that it has broken over the diagnosis', he's opening my eyes to how He is using the boys and our story to bring glory to Him, and He's stirring up generosity in my own heart.
I can't help but think of tangible ways in which we can be generous to others. To help make their dreams cone true. To be Jesus' hands and feet to someone like us who might just need that gift.
My heart is forever changed by this experience this week and I pray I will grow to have a generous heart like those who have blessed us.
Love, Nick & Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment