Yesterday was Nick's anniversary of being hit by a car. 13 years ago Nick was crossing the street by his house and a car didn't see him and hit him, launching him into the air and he skidded across the pavement and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. He was air lifted to Spokane and had a very small chance of survival. Even the doctors and medics working on him told the neighbors that he wouldnt make it to the hospital because his body was starting to go into shock.
We like to say that an angel caught Nick that day, because all the odds were against him and the recovery for a boy his age, was very unlikely. Once he was out of the hospital, he got a 12 inch blood clot in his leg and had to be on blood thinners for 6 months. He easily could have been killed by that as well, but God was watching out for him. He had an external fixator in his leg that had to be tightened because he completely snapped some bones in half. He broke his elbow and many other things (there are just too many to remember!). He was in a wheelchair for a while, and then had to use a walker after he was out of the wheelchair to regain strength and full mobility of his body again.
Not only did Nick make a full recovery but he went on to play sports all through high school and college and even had scouts looking at him to draft him for baseball out of college. What an unbelievable miracle that Nick is still alive.
I feel like the luckiest person in the world that God spared Nick's life so that he can accomplish great things for His glory. I am in awe that part of Nick's purpose was to be my husband and that I get to partake in that. God is good!
Nick and I were talking last night about what it feels like when he comes around this time each year and what he remembers about the accident and everything. He was telling me that it really puts things in perspective for him and it makes him realize that there really is only one way to live. Because God gave Nick a second chance to live, he wants to live life fully and live with the purpose God has for him. Thank God for second chances!
I am so truly thankful for this reminder every year and the fact that Nick is still here and that I get to be married to him!
Nick is a miracle.
1 comment:
Yeah, you just made me cry! Thanks for sharing this with us :) I remember a lot of talk about it during the wedding, but it nice to hear more. I am so glad that Nick is part of our family :) Love you
Post a Comment