What is Joubert Syndrome?

.mission accomplished.

I did it!!! I successfully completed my first half marathon! This is a goal that I have had for myself for a while and I have just never had the confidence to actually do it. I finally decided about 4 months ago that I was going to do it. So I signed up and committed myself to it. There is something about actually signing up that makes it real.

So then began my training. I have always run on my own...anywhere from 3-5 miles about 5 days a week with a few longer runs mixed in...so I already had a little bit of a head start on my training. The training really wasn't difficult and I found myself getting excited for my long Saturday runs because they really are rejuvinating. There is something about getting into a rhythm and just going for miles and miles. I was able to run 8 miles easy but still hadnt pushed the 10 mile barrier until about 2 weeks before the race.

When I finally passed through the 10 mile barrier I felt so empowered. I felt like I could accomplish anything. I was a sprinter in high school....we're talking 100 and 200 meter races here...not even once around the track. So the transition to long distance running took the first few years of college for me to get used to. Never did I think that I would be able to run 13.1 miles straight!!!

But I did it!!! And I am so proud to say that I accomplished one of my lifelong goals. I don't ever think I will run a full marathon but I think there will be a few more half marathons to complete in my life :)

Nick was my biggest supporter through all the training. He kept encouraging me and was always telling me that I could do it. He got up early the morning of the race and took me and then was there at the finish line taking pictures of me as I crossed the finish line. It was motivating to me while I was running knowing that Nick would be there to watch me cross the finish line :)

Annnnndddd...to top it all off, when I got home from the race, there were beautiful flowers and a little note saying he was proud of me! It meant more to me than he will ever know!!!

So I am proud to say that I have successfully completed my first half marathon in right around 2 hours :)


After the race...


The beautiful flowers I came home to!!

1 comment:

Kimber said...

congrats on the race! you've always been an awesome runner! how fun!